Forums » Electrical Engineering

Grounding system

  • October 6, 2019 1:27 AM PDT


    The house which I am living has already a grounding system and a grounded line between the breaker box and the water line, but I was looking to install the missing grounding rod. Yesterday I bought 5/8" x 8' grounding rod and 10 inch deep in the grounded I hammered.
    My query from you guys, what guage wire is it needed to run from the breaker box to the grounding rod? It is a residential house. Does my concept of installing grounding rod matches the code.

    Thanks in advance for any comment anyone can provide

    This post was edited by Trinidad Mcdougal at October 6, 2019 1:27 AM PDT
    • 103 posts
    October 6, 2019 4:25 AM PDT

    A 6AWG is good to the ground rod, if you can keep it out of harms way. I had to do the same a few years ago. All your utilities should be bonded, includes telephone, cable, etc. 

    Since my telephone came in at a different location I hammered the second ground rod there to make that connection easier.  If one ground rod does not make a 25 ohm connection to the earth a second ground rod is required.  It is easier to drive two rods than try to measure the resistance.

    I assume you hammered the ground rod 10 feet not 10 inches.  Quite the experience, if you do it by hand. 


    This post was edited by Steve Ward at October 6, 2019 4:28 AM PDT