Forums » Electrical Engineering

Substation ground cover

• 29 posts
    August 29, 2019 1:40 PM PDT

Another forum has a question on substation ground cover.

I'm familiar with IEEE 80 Safety for AC Substation Grounding.  Ground cover is always 6" of washed gravel.  Has to do with an high resistance layer over a conductive layer, lowering the step potential in the event of a fault

Are there different specs in the IEC/European world that allows/encourages vegetation ground cover, like grass?

Thanks

• 128 posts
    August 31, 2019 12:46 PM PDT

Carl, I have not seen such a specific recommendation but of course there are some steps to lower the steps and touch fault. You will find such information in IEC based EN 50522 Earthing of power installations exceeding 1 kV and separation distance according to IEC 62305-3 (EN 62305-3). The below picture shows, building grounding system to connected all parts to the ground main ground system.

• 61 posts
    September 1, 2019 11:06 PM PDT
    Carl Coulter said:

Another forum has a question on substation ground cover.

I'm familiar with IEEE 80 Safety for AC Substation Grounding.  Ground cover is always 6" of washed gravel.  Has to do with an high resistance layer over a conductive layer, lowering the step potential in the event of a fault

Are there different specs in the IEC/European world that allows/encourages vegetation ground cover, like grass?

Thanks

The earthing plane below the ground, usually about 600 mm (2 ft) deep, is made of a lattice grid array. A buried sheet of copper would be far too costly, so a mesh made out of lengths of copper cable or copper rectangular strip, at a distance apart calculated to achieve personal safety, is used

• 29 posts
    September 10, 2019 5:22 PM PDT

Thanks for the help.

I'm off work next week.  I'll be able to pull up the two references, EN 50522 and  IEC 62305-3 (EN 62305-3).

Again, I'm looking specifically for references in the IEC/European world that allows/encourages vegetation ground cover, like grass.

If you happen to be driving by a substation (IEC/European world), Take a look at the yard ground cover and let me know.

carl