Forums » Electrical Engineering

Receptacles

• August 14, 2019 12:41 PM PDT

Is it allowed per code to have two receptacles in one box with a different circuit feeding each receptacle and to be protectedby a two pole breaker?

• 128 posts
    August 14, 2019 12:50 PM PDT

You can use instead two pole circuit breaker a single circuit breaker for each. This make sense.

• 137 posts
    August 14, 2019 1:00 PM PDT
    Hameedullah Ekhlas said:

You can use instead two pole circuit breaker a single circuit breaker for each. This make sense.

Two single poles without a breaker handle tie would not be compliant.  Both parts of the duplex must be de-energized simultaneously.  I assume this is not a multiwire branch circuit however the same rule applies.  So yes a dp breaaker is fine

210.7 Multiple Branch Circuits. Where two or more branch
    circuits supply devices or equipment on the same yoke or
    mounting strap, a means to simultaneously disconnect the
    ungrounded supply conductors shall be provided at the point
    at which the branch circuits originate.

This post was edited by Dennis Alwon at August 14, 2019 1:03 PM PDT
    • 23 posts
    August 14, 2019 1:19 PM PDT

It sounds to me like you might be describing a standard split receptacle (which are split by snipping off the linking jumper that connects the top part of a duplex receptacle to the bottom part of the duplex receptacle).

If so, the answer to your question is "Yes". Split receptacles are intended to be protected by a two pole breaker, which like Dennis said, must be simultaneously disconnected in the case of a fault of either one of the two circuits.  

• 63 posts
    August 15, 2019 9:31 AM PDT

With the two pole breaker a fault on either will disconnect both.

With two single pole breakers & handle tie a fault on one load will allow the other load to continue to operate.

In either case manually switching one off will disconnect both, so servicing the receptacle does not result in an unsafe condition.

Yes,Steve thank you for mentioning this point. This is the main reason to use two receptacles in one box with different circuits. Incase one is disconnecting, the second will stay to work. 

This post was edited by Hameedullah Ekhlas at August 15, 2019 10:36 AM PDT
    • 137 posts
    August 15, 2019 12:46 PM PDT

I am very sorry as I read the original post as 2 circuits on one receptacle.  With 2 receptacles in a box then there is no need for a dp or single pole with handle ties.  It is compliant to use a dp breaker and not a bad idea but it is not necessary-- 2 sp breakers as Hameedullah mentioned earlier is correct

• 128 posts
    August 15, 2019 12:51 PM PDT

@Steve: sorry Steve instead of quoting your reply, I clicked by mistake on editing your post and posted directly inside your post. 

• 32 posts
    August 15, 2019 9:26 PM PDT

Two circuits in the same box can have be protected by two different single-pole breakers

• 63 posts
    August 16, 2019 6:39 AM PDT
    Hameedullah Ekhlas said:

@Steve: sorry Steve instead of quoting your reply, I clicked by mistake on editing your post and posted directly inside your post. 

No problem my friend.  As you can see I am having a little issue with the quotes myself !

This post was edited by Steve Ward at August 16, 2019 6:41 AM PDT