Forums » Electrical Engineering

Jumper cable

• 6 posts
    February 25, 2019 12:10 PM PST

can a jumper cable be used for permanent use in an enclosures?

• 148 posts
    February 25, 2019 12:18 PM PST

I think we need more info than that.  What are you jumping? What is the enclosure and what kind of cable are you using?  I hope not these...laughing

• 6 posts
    February 25, 2019 12:29 PM PST

I would like to use  insulated wire  7.2 kV for a short distance.

• 200 posts
    February 25, 2019 3:43 PM PST
    Barry, thanks for the suggestion of this topic. I am writing in an Android so excuse misspelling and mistakes.

Temporary jumpers are for diagnosis and maintenance. PERMANENT jumpers are for design changes, can we suppose you are intended to do that?

If so jumpers are for (very) Low Voltage (vLV) CONTROL LOGIC, not for power. So you can jump a 24Vdc switch or relay contact to enable a logic for motor start, but you CANNOT jump a 480Vac power contact directly on the phase line of the very same motor.

The "Logic" jumper is installed in a panel (or enclosure as you said) with the same size and color standard of all the "Logic" wiring in the enclosure , adequate to the terminal blocks inside.

In Industrial installation usually there are 10% of spare conductors/terminal blocks (connected non-active) plus 5% of empty spare terminal blocks in panels to be used for design change. Most or all of them are for control logic.

For vLV (100-240V) power distribution, Residential and Commercial, no jumpers are advised, there are commercially available:
    -Neutral bar: a bare cooper bar or with a insulated base (blue color, in many countries);
    -Ground bar: a bare cooper bar or with a insulated base (green or green/yellow color, in all countries);
    -Phase bar: a half-insulated cooper bar usually grey or white, with bare extremities with distances complying to side-by-side vLV Circuit Breakers connectors - such bars can distribute from one phase conductor to 2 or more Circuit Breakers;

I hope this helps, but as Dennis said we need more information.