Forums » Electrical Engineering

Power routing

• 4 posts
    February 17, 2019 1:17 PM PST

For commercial building the emergency and normal power routing should be separated? Does it apply also to residential?

• 17 posts
    February 17, 2019 2:08 PM PST

Yes, you have to route separated and it has to be linked to the power routing to work properly. Usually is in serie with the power lighting system and the power to the emergency lighting is supplied by batteries. For singular buildings is like with commercial installations.

• 62 posts
    February 17, 2019 9:59 PM PST

Correct, you can do it separately. It is recommended per code

• 18 posts
    February 17, 2019 10:01 PM PST

NEC asks only for Commercial building but not for residential, which code are you talking?

• 140 posts
    February 18, 2019 12:20 PM PST

I assume you don't mean optional standby systems ...  As far as I can tell there is no distinction between commercial and residential.

• 129 posts
    February 18, 2019 1:06 PM PST
    Dennis Alwon said:

I assume you don't mean optional standby systems ...  As far as I can tell there is no distinction between commercial and residential.

Yes Dennis is correct. NEC Section 700.9(B)(2) requires that wiring from an emergency source to the emergency load be kept entirely independent of all other wiring and equipment wiring except for wiring supplied from two sources in exit or emergency luminaires. Or the emergency feed would need to use a separate channel from the normal power conductors within the continuous row (with separate conduit entries / knockouts to accommodate the separation). There should be either a fixed barrier or a similar means of securing these separate circuits from intermixing within the non-emergency luminaire

This post was edited by Hameedullah Ekhlas at February 18, 2019 1:12 PM PST