Forums » Electrical Engineering

Electrical panel board

• 3 posts
    April 14, 2019 10:17 AM PDT

Hello everybody,

We moved to an old house, which needs renovation. Before hiring an electrician, I would like to know the electrical configuration of the house and know if my renovation plan is acceptable.

The plan:

I would like to replace the electrical panel board which feeds kitchen and one part of under ground floor with a new panel boards MCB, RCBs and to increase the circuit breakers over 20 A.

After installation, I would like to add more circuits to the new panel boards.

The first step is to replace and add circuits that controls the first floor lights and sockets

There will then be a circiut breaker to feed the rest circuits and the relay system should be removed.

I am not an electrician but I have a certain understanding of the profession.

• 15 posts
    April 14, 2019 10:37 AM PDT

I would replace the 2 panel on the left side of the photo. They seem to be out of date. You can get a 48 position panel for

48 breaker and circuits. The panel on the right seems to be a newer panel.

• 65 posts
    April 14, 2019 10:43 AM PDT

The question is what should be new and what will remain

• 200 posts
    April 15, 2019 4:55 AM PDT
    Prakash, namaste, I usally don't answer questions I was not invited for (suggested by the Author), so I beg your pardon if I do so now. For the sake of SAFETY, I am attending to a David Welson suggestion to reply here. Thanks, David.

Let's see your points:
    - "old house, which needs renovation...";
    - "new panel boards MCB, RCBs and to increase the circuit breakers over 20 A...";
    - "After installation, I would like to add more circuits to the new panel boards...";
    - "replace and add circuits that controls the first floor lights and sockets...";

And not a single word about the CONDUCTORS, wiring, cables, etc.

Once more I shall insist accordingly "SAFETY FIRST" motto, taking the risk of be seen as a boring repetitive person, Internet flaming, Z4E unfriendly despite I understand that Engineers and Technicians can often leave the "Basics" behind when in another higher level of their profession.

First:
    The primary purpose of a Circuit Breaker is to protect the CONDUCTOR. Protection a final equipment is a secondary purpose.

- Protecting the conductor from high amperage prevents high temperature;
    - Preventing high temperature prevents insulation to be melted;
    - Preventing insulation to be melted prevents fire;
    - Preventing fire protects people and assets;

Second:
    A Circuit Breaker shall protect the CONDUCTORS AFTER its position in the circuit (usually, although not always - there are special cases, but it is NOT your case).

Third:
    If the CONDUCTORS WILL NOT BE REPLACED, then your guide will be the CONDUCTORS ALREADY INSTALLED: check the CONDUCTORS of the old house, what their size? What their current capacity (ampacity)? What about their integrity? Some circuits need to be replaced? That is should be the beginning of your planning.
    You CANNOT add more circuits and increase CB by 20A before you had check the CONDUCTORS. And maybe you need to add new Circuit Breakers in rooms with undersized conductors.

If the CONDUCTORS WILL BE REPLACED, then your guide will be the CONDUCTORS CALCULATED based on load calculations: FIRST you calculate their size, their current capacity (ampacity), additional circuits as you wish and their COST needed be replaced or added. That is also should be the beginning of your planning.
    THEN you calculate the Circuit Breakers, Boxes, and Panels accordingly to the new CONDUCTORS you selected, the voltage availability, number of phases, number of circuits, etc.

In both cases I suggest diagrams (can be handmade), conductors list, bill of materials (add 10-20% additional spare, with costs), estimate workforce (hours or days, with cost).

I hope this helps. Regards, I wish you the best on your new house.